Sunday, September 9, 2007

Fair



FALL IS COMING! Inspired by some of the posts I have been reading concerning the upcoming autumn season, I must also rave a bit about this wonderful time of year. This picture was taken near our home last year, during one of the most vibrant leaf seasons we have ever experienced.

I love fall for many reasons, but today I am focusing on one of the things I look forward to most about this time of year.

THE MOUNTAIN STATE FAIR!

Today we are going to the fair! I think I may be more excited than the kids. I love the sounds of the rides, the aromas coming from the vendors all cooking their specialty--everything from pronto pups to funnel cakes, the excited voices and shrieks from those daring enough to climb aboard sky-high rides, my children jumping up and down wanting to do everything all at one time.

Our fair comes around this time every year and it ushers in the season for us. We spend a day walking around the fairgrounds, visiting the petting zoo, eating, riding, and generally just enjoying being together. The weather is usually beautiful, around mid 70's, and by now a nice breeze is blowing.

The leaves have not yet begun to turn, but it always seems like, when the fair leaves town, the trees take their cue to begin that beautiful process. And here, in the Smokies, autumn is so breathtaking.

Next autumn post--Apple Picking at Sky Top Apple Orchard, complete with pictures--another of our traditional autumn adventures.

7 comments:

mitzh said...

I love fair, they are so wonderful and somewhat magical...

And that picture is sooo GORGEOUS! I love it. Fall is actually my favorite season.

S said...

That picture is MONEY!

Stunning.

Enjoy the fair!

niobe said...

Beautiful picture. I wish I were going to the Mountain State Fair -- it sounds just wonderful.

painted maypole said...

oh I am ORANGE with jealousy. I miss, miss, miss, miss fall. That picture is fabulous.

Christine said...

apple picking is our absolute favorite fall activity in the world. the memories we have created are the best. the best.

lovely photo!

Amy Y said...

I just have to say that the picture is, hands down, one of the coolest photos I've ever seen! I,too, am so excited for fall!! Colorado is beautiful, but with mostly yellow Aspen trees, they don't have anything on fall in your neck of the woods, but I'll take when I can get. :)

ewe are here said...

Fabulous picture! I, too, love taking fall pictures. The colors are fantastic!