Sunday, October 14, 2007

It went something like this

The setting:
Our oversized, but not-so-comfy recliner in our living room, just after naptime. Journey was cuddling on my lap for a few blessed minutes before her sister woke up--a Sunday afternoon ritual in our home of late. Little did I know what that blond little head was cooking up and was about to spew forth from it's perfectly-shapen miniature pink lips. Oh mercy.

"Mommy?"

"yes, Journey?"

"Mommy, just where do babies really come from?"

As my heart flutters and I nearly choke on my diet coke, I stammer. NO, not yet. She can't be asking me this yet. Her brothers still have not inquired, for which I have been eternally grateful.
I fish around madly for an answer that will suffice until I can issue a more prepared and accepatable one--like 10 years from now. If only we could have some kind of parental-alert that would give us even a five minute lead on questions like this.
Yeah.

"Well, Journey, babies, well, er, come from inside mommies' bellies"

Pause. A pregnant pause, if you will.

"No, I know that already, 'cause that is where Serenity came from. Cause she was in your belly, then you went to the hospital, then the doctor helped, then she came out, then she came home. But How did she get in there?"
Sigh.
Of course, my exquisitely curious and out-spoken daughter was not to be placated with this kind of beat-around-the-bush response. No ma'm. SO, in brief, I kind of explained to her what helps a baby "get inside the tummy".
After our chat, which actually took only a few minutes, and much to my relief remained G-rated, allowed a few more minutes for me to compse myself while my daughter looked at me very accusingly. Her mind was trying to make sense out of what I had just told her, I convinced myself.

Her comment:
"No wonder I don't like to play with Porter, Mommy. I just knew he was up to something".

10 comments:

S said...

OH MY GOD! Her response is the funniest line ever!

You'd better watch her very carefully... ;)

thirtysomething said...

S.m.--I know! It was good I was sitting, b/c when she said that, you could have knocked me over with a feather.
It is all harmless enough, but still...:)

Amy Y said...

Oh that is hilarious!! Smart lil cookie that one ;)

painted maypole said...

wow! That is funny!

mitzh said...

She's a smart little lady. eh?

Anonymous said...

Heh. That is the best response ever. At least she is well prepared.

Beck said...

That is hilarious! Smart lil' girl....

niobe said...

Too funny. Though I can't help wondering exactly what Porter is is up to. Maybe he suggested a game of I'll-show-you-mine-if-you-show-me-yours?

Aliki2006 said...

What a conversation!!

We still haven't had the "where do babies come from" conversation with Liam yet but, oddly, have already had a basic one with Tessa.

Christine said...

that is TOO freakin' funny!

and i swear i will do your meme very soon. i just need a little break from the blog writing.

xoxo