Monday, June 18, 2007

Flashback

Those of you who know me well know how much music is a part of my life; how it drives my soul, but tonight a certain genre plays on my radio and I am having flashbacks. I hear Elton John, REO Speedwagon, Journey, Mister Mister and many more...Why do I love 80's music so much? The echo, the drums, the harmony that made all songs sound alike...

It makes me think of roller skates, legwarmers, the mall, middle school, locker combinations, riding in the back of my father's truck on hot Memphis summer nights, long (very long) telephone (remember those?) conversations curled up on the floor close to the phone - which was not cordless, reading-Sweet Valley High books by the pool (yes, quite mindless, but hey, I was 13), sleepovers with lots of popcorn, babysitting (lots of babysitting), riding my bike all over the neighborhood without fear, boomboxes, and so much more...

Those memories are so precious to me. I wonder if my children will harbor memories like these. I find myself, as a mom, trying to create their memories, but knowing that it will be those unplanned moments, those times that seem to go by unnoticed, which really are imprinted only to be pulled out later when a long lost song comes across the radio, perhaps even one entitled,
"Don't you forget about me..."

1 comment:

painted maypole said...

wow, that list of 80's memories could have been mine. Particularly the roller skates and sweet valley high books. sigh...